Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Thing 2

(I feel so Cat in the Hat--Thing 1, Thing 2...)
I watched the two videos and read the blogpost (I'll read the webpage later, but while thoughts were fresh...).
I guess I missed Library 1.0 altogether; maybe that's one reason I feel behind when it comes to L2. Although I got my library degree in the mid-90s, I was there the day they installed the first window-based computer in the graduate computer lab (where I spent lots of time as we didn't have a PC at home until AFTER I finished my degree--bad timing for me!). It doesn't seem that long ago to me, but in technology terms, that's like the switch from the Wright brothers powered flight to landing on the moon in less than 70 years.
Perhaps the shiftedlibrarian YouTube was the most telling. As you can see from how I write, I'm not particularly linear, and the start of that video brought back memories of grad school. The first paper I did on the computer--tragic! The fact that I got the "perfect" opening paragraph (all on the computer, of course!) only to have a power outage before I saved it... Well, after that first traumatic paper within my first month of grad school, by the end of the semester, I wondered how I ever did a paper by hand or on a typewriter (remember those?) as I was switching paragraphs around and restructuring my papers within an hour of when the papers were due! Though that simple act--composing on the computer--was so horrid at first, I adjusted fairly quickly (for me). Now, alas, it seems I don't have the luxury of a semester. By the time I've semi-mastered what I started to learn in September, there is at least one new generation (sometimes more) of that basic technology that I missed out on!

And things we need to rethink besides the Library's mission include (as the video said at the end) copyright and privacy--which is a little tough to impress upon kids who have never known life without a computer, the Internet, Google...especially ourselves. (see me looking in the mirror as I write this?)

I know I'm not saying anything new. But it helps to get a little perspective, to realize I'm not alone in feeling like I'm driving my 66 Mustang in the Indy 500, and to know that I might have a little more savvy than I thought because I could relate to most everything that was said/written in what I viewed (though the final video went a little faster than I could...).

1 comment:

  1. Bev, thanks for tellling me about your non-functioning comments. Please let me know if this one works.

    ReplyDelete